Thursday, April 2, 2009

There's no such thing as spring break


Gypsey Potions in Charleston

Spring break? No way was it a break! Last week for spring break I went on a 2600 mile roadtrip with my boyfriend John. We decided to travel south east. We drove from Nashville, to Clayton, to Savannah, stopped for a rest in Hilton Head and explored the classy city of Charleston. We stopped in many small towns for the night and attempted to find the most interesting roads possible. Thanks to Juno, John's fantastic GPS system, and Pam, the state maP we were easily able to get from one place to the other pretty easily.



Numbers from the trip- in honor of Chris Dunn

Miles Driven- 2600
Photographs Made- 3,650
Snap Pea Bags Eaten- 5
Beer Stops- >7
Bottles of Beer Brought Home- 51
Sim Cities Created- 2
Highest Population- 182,000
Bottles from Hotels Stolen- 18 (including a hair net)
Times Camping Equipment Was Used- 1
Amount of Space it Took Up- The entire trunk
Amount of Times I Was Allowed to Drive- 0
Sand Dollars Poached- 12
Treasure Chests Found- 2
Postcards Bought- 55
Crab Legs Eaten- 22
Maps Used- 10
Gypsies Encountered- 3
Gypsy Potions Bought- 0

(Thanks for the map John!)

We stopped at the Jack Daniel's distilary and at about every craft beer shop and brewery possible. In the end, John spent more money on beer than hotel rooms, and I picked up a postcard at about every gas station. One of our first stops was Clayton, Georgia for the only scheduled event on our trip. We went whitewater rafting down the river the movie Deliverance was filmed on. The raft trip scared me a lot for a part of it, but I got over that after John promised me ice cream. Our raft guide kept telling us about the 'dire consequences' that could befall us if we did any paddle stroke wrong. I was pretty bad at left draw, so I was pretty worried I would screw up and find out what a dire consequence really is. I got so scared that I followed our raft guide's directions perfectly, and we never did have any consequences.





After that experience, we camped along the river for the evening and drove to Savannah the next day. My only goal for the trip was to see Spanish Moss, and there was an abundance of it all over the city.



John did a really fantastic time booking places to day on a tight dollar. He mostly used hotwire.com and we ended up getting 4 star hotels for really cheap.

After Savannah we took a two day break at Hilton Head Island. The weather wasn't perfect, but we were able to kick back and stop driving for a day! It was my first time in the Atlantic ocean. I couldn't believe how cold it was!!! The sand we were stepping on had strange rocks on the bottom, and after a little more investigation we found out that we were stepping all over sand dollars! They turned my hands bright yellow! We investigated Hudson's and The Blue Marlin. We definitely ate our fill of seafood for the week!!!





We moved onto Charleston and explored the old parts of town and John's favorite beer store of all time. I fell in love with Charleston's old town charm and southern beauty.



We moved on through there and ended up in Asheville North Carolina for the evening, and finally made it to the Smoky Mountains for a day hike! After 9 days we drove the 8 hours more to Columbia, Missouri, unpacked our trinkets and clothes and woke up 5 hours later for my 8 AM class.



That's the basic rundown of spring break... more posts to come.

No comments: